CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Every single slasher mask you can think of is on display at the Academy Museum

www.timeout.com/los-angeles: Think of all the images from scary movies that have haunted your nightmares over the years—then picture them all in one place. That’s what’s in store for you at the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures’ new exhibition, “The Horror Show,” which opens on Saturday, just in time for Halloween season.

2 comments:

Prudence Dwyer said...

Horror is serious business, and it's always encouraging to see it treated as the legitimate and storied genre it always has been. What really encourages me is how the horror put on exhibit is of all types of subgenres and, for lack of a better word, perceived artistic value -- "elevated," gorefest, monster flicks -- and interrogates them equally. These films all have different goals and were made for different audiences, but everything on exhibit here matters. Along these lines, I really appreciate Amy Homma's sentiment that, if you think you hate horror, you probably just haven't found *your* horror yet. It's an idea not exclusive to horror (I've never liked romcoms, but 10 Things I Hate About You really worked for me), but it seems especially poignant for horror. You can get scared in so many ways, and I think it's a bad idea to count an entire genre out of your movie rotation.

FallFails said...

Horror movies are made by some of the most creative people. Often even those that have small budgets can turn into the most interesting and well made works of art. I'm not the biggest slasher movie fan, I prefer films with a hint of supernatural elements opposing the main characters. My personal favorite horror film is The Blair Witch Project. I love it for its unique style as what I would call a horror mockumentary. Just seeing the pictures of these pieces of media history is an inspiring experience. I am always blown away by just how creative those horror films are. I took a class on horror films last year and we had a long conversation about how horror movies reflect the societal fears at the time they are being made. Even modernized versions of old stories focus on different aspects of those stories like all of the different variations of Frankenstein.