CMU School of Drama


Thursday, September 03, 2026

Es Devlin’s Immersive World Comes to FUTURA SEOUL

mymodernmet.com: British artist Es Devlin has spent more than three decades exploring what happens when people gather in a shared space. Her installations often transform architecture into a stage where books become gateways, light marks the passage of time, and strangers become temporary collaborators.

3 comments:

Anton Popowitz said...

OMG. I am so happy to see this here! Es Devlin is my FAVORITE DESIGNER (in the classical term of a multimedia and multidisciplinary artist. I have her book, which is an AMAZING collection of her work. even just the book is amazing: the way all the pages are different sizes, some pages fold out.

This specific installation reminds me of a scene from john wick in which mirrors are used in conjunction with the idea of deception. By making curves out of flat pieces of mirror, the artist is fragmenting the image rather than distorting it, a conscious choice to deceive the viewers about what is ahead of them.

My favorite work of Devlin’s is her design for The Lehman Trilogy, for which she won the 2022 tony. The set was a glass box on a revolve. Inside the glass box was a bare-bones office split into 3 rooms.

Devlin has an amazing amount of restraint in her design work, not complicating her audience’s view of the story she is trying to tell

Felix Eisenberg said...

Since my first semester in basic design, where we were introduced to Es Devlin's stage work and art of installations, I have been an avid fan of hers. Her recent exhibition, on display at FUTURA SEOUL, is showing her theory of how she converted her architectural approach into involvements in the actual exhibition! For the past 30 years, Es Devlin has been producing her installations of art, which challenge this classic retrospective format of viewing art. She enlarges the elements of her old sketchbooks into huge-scale objects of light and is able to create these mazes of mirrors in an interactive experience for the public to participate in the artistic process of drawing their portraits while being seated across from one another. It's super amazing to watch her various projects over the past three years that I've known about her work, and I'm super excited to see what she continues to do/hope I can see some of her work in person!

Lilly Resnick said...

I started looking at Es Devlin’s work when I was a freshman here at CMU in my basic design class. I am never, ever disappointed when I see her work; I think she's one of the most incredible artists in the world. Every time she puts up an installation I quickly read articles and look at images of it. What fascinates me about this installation is her tie into literature and her poem that is directly tied into this sculptural piece. Just by looking at the photos of this installation, it looks so beautiful. It's like this beautiful mirror crystalline Maze of light and it's absolutely stunning. I would love to walk through it now, but it is in Seoul, Korea, so I can't do that right now. I also love the initiative of having 100 poems with 100 artists, therefore providing installation work for a hundred different installation artists around the world.