CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Colbert Reveals Surprising ‘Dream Job’ After Late-Night Exit

www.thedailybeast.com: Stephen Colbert is branching out into a brand new industry. In addition to writing the new Lord of the Rings movie and winning Emmys left and right, the former host of The Late Show, 62, is working to expand a scriptwriting software company he developed called Scripto.

4 comments:

Luke Varner said...

I’m really intrigued by this venture for Colbert. He’s always been very involved in production but is primarily a host, so it’s very cool to me how he plans to get much more involved in the behind the scenes process of production. The only scriptwriting software I’ve used was writersduet which is mostly optimized for a single writer who distributes their product in pdfs. While it’s an effective software for writing and formatting, it was annoying having to create new pdfs to distribute every edit. It seems really nice to be able to send out a link like one does with a google doc. I hope that the software becomes more common in the theatrical industry especially in the process of creating new works, it seems like it could have very practical applications outside of the film/tv industry, especially for smaller live show type events. I hope Colbert gets it out there.

Violet K said...

I really hope that Stephen Colbert gets to live his dream of becoming a tech oligarch, he seems like a much better person than the sorts of tech oligarchs we have going on, so there's no possible way for him to be worse. I like that he developed a tool to facilitate writing, rather than what it feels like every other company in the world is doing and trying to make it so no one ever has to write anything ever again. Comedy is one of those things that I feel strongly needs to come from a human being. I don’t want an AI chat bot’s observational comedy, because it really doesn't seem like it has ever observed anything. I’m glad there is a tool out there that is trying to make writers' workflow easier, and I had no idea that Colbert had a hand in creating a program that is leveraged by so many of my favorite shows.

Anonymous said...

I love how Stephen Colbert is working on making things easier and better for his industry even after his forced goodbye. He is thriving helping to write the new Lord of the Rings movie, which he is a massive fan of and now also helping create a system that will make things easier for companies that have scripts changing all the time. I think it is kind of funny that one of the inspiring moments for this was when no one saved rewrites and they ended up with a goat on set that was not going to be used anymore. I can just imagine the confusion of everyone including that poor goat as to why the animal was there. Most live TV is a giant collaboration project that I am sure takes a lot to coordinate, but Stephen Colbert knows this and has decided to use his experience and smarts to make things easier for those who come after him.

brice shearburn said...

When The Late Show got cancelled, I knew that Stephen Colbert would find an interesting project to pursue; however, I did not expect it to be software-related. Although this article barely skims the surface of what the scriptwriting process is like for a late night show, the chaos and disorganization of it all is crazy to me. The fact that on some sets there are still random PDFs of various versions of the script floating around and causing confusion is wild considering how digital the world we live in is. The details of Colbert’s scriptwriting software are also a little bit vague, but I’m very intrigued by how exactly it works and how it streamlines the writing process. As a whole, this article makes me excited to see if and how Colbert distributes his scriptwriting software, since it seems like it will improve the writing experience within late-night and in the tv/film industry as a whole. As a longtime fan of Colbert, reading about his newest venture after the unfortunate cancellation of his show is a nice piece of good and lighthearted news, and while I'm hoping that Colbert can get back to hosting a show at some point in the future, I think he'll be a much more benevolent tech oligarch than most of the ones in power in the meantime.