CMU School of Drama


Monday, September 28, 2026

Can a ballerina do a stomp? Natalia Osipova on making her fearsome, foul-mouthed acting debut

Stage | The Guardian: When Natalia Osipova started rehearsals for her first ever play, it didn’t go well. “I cry. I’m shaking. I’m stressed and completely lost on the first day,” she reports. “I think, ‘I’m a piece of shit!’ I want to take a taxi and run away.”

1 comment:

Abby Weitzel said...

I find it very inspiring that Natalia Osipova has the dedication and talent to try something entirely new in her career at an age when many people settle down and find security. Although acting and dance are similar in many ways, they differ greatly, and Natalia isn’t letting that scare her. I really respect that she shared how hard the transition was at first, and that she shed multiple tears to get where she is today. I’ve done ballet since I was 3, and have watched Natalia dance online in so many different pieces. She is so graceful yet powerful, and I’m sure that her gifts will translate into acting. I also find it so interesting that this is the play she decided to make her acting debut in, as Lydia Lopokova seems to be a very complex character. Nevertheless, she has found multiple ways to connect with her as a person and will undoubtedly portray her with ease.