Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Wednesday, September 09, 2026
AQTIS 514 IATSE signs first term agreement with Netflix
finance.yahoo.com: The association representing audiovisual technicians (all those who work behind the camera) is proud to announce the signing of an agreement with Netflix. This agreement, reached following a majority vote by union members, is the result of discussions and negotiations that took place over several months.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I am almost always in favor of a win for IATSE, but it is interesting to see this one particularly, as I know IATSE can cover movie production too, but the focus usually seems to be live entertainment. Additionally, I know very little about unionization for Netflix, but I wonder if this is one of the first times this kind of unionization has occurred for them, or if this is following in the footprints of other locals. Either way, that is good news for our French speaking northern neighbors.
I don’t have as much of an understanding of the unions and how they work as I would like. I largely understand their benefits, their structure, and how they often integrate with production work (at least as informed by my own experience). This article is also interesting to me because I don’t fully understand how Netflix as a studio operates. I’ve never done a whole lot of digging, and perhaps this is another step in Netflix becoming a more traditional film studio, because it was my understanding before (though it was potentially misinformed) that Netflix was largely a funding source and may do some administrative/organizational work on projects that were otherwise “independent”. This new deal however, seems to reinforce a structure that might be more typical of other studios, and I’m curious about how that may impact the types of series and movies Netflix will end up producing. To me, it has seemed like Netflix has been shifting away from more “indie-scale” projects towards larger, more “block-buster” movies and series for a while, and this seems to further cement their trajectory.
Post a Comment