Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Monday, September 28, 2026
A Set For Slam Frank, The Anne Frank Afro-Latin Hip-Hop Musical
Live Design Online: Anne Frank and an Afro-Latin Hip-Hop musical may seem like strange theatrical bedfellows but they are the premise for Slam Frank, an edgy production that reimagines Anne Frank’s story through an intersectional, multiethnic, genderqueer, Afro-Latin hip-hop lens.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think the design of Slam Frank sounds especially interesting because it uses the set design to reflect the unusual style of the musical instead of trying to make the production look traditional and very polished. I like that the scenic designer chose inexpensive materials such as scaffolding and old-fashioned lights to create a chaotic environment. According to the article, the set also surrounds and emphasizes the large, non-period video screen. I think this is a good example of how a set does not have to be realistic to be effective. The messy and somewhat improvised appearance seems intentional and fits the show's unconventional approach to Anne Frank’s story. I also found it interesting that the original production used very few scenic elements and that the designers expanded the set after the show had an audience. Overall, I think the design demonstrates how creativity can be more important than having an elaborate set.
Post a Comment