Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Friday, September 04, 2026
8 things Gen Z sees as burnout that Boomers & Gen X just call having a job
stylegirlfriend.com: A 24-year-old and a 56-year-old describe the same Wednesday.
The younger one says it was brutal. Back-to-back calls, a manager who wanted a revision, a Slack message at 6:40 that she answered from the couch. She uses the word burnout twice before she gets to what happened after work.
The older one says it was Wednesday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
This article was interesting when thinking about it in the frame of theatre. I think a lot of times in the theatre profession we’re expected to give 200% because it’s considered a privilege to do what we do. For a lot of people, what we do is a hobby. Sometimes this mindset is helpful for me when things get difficult as a way of staying positive; but there are other times when I leave rehearsal at night and want to leave it at the door.
The thing that stood out to me the most was the section about receiving a message during dinner and the different perspectives on how big of a deal that is. In the AEA Lort handbook it specifies that stage managers don’t get paid to answer emails. I have always found this ironic because it’s so much of the stage manager’s job to answer emails – although I never fault someone for emailing me outside of working hours, I do think it’s reasonable for them to assume that it may take me time to respond.
Comment By Sophie Bilodeau
I found this topic very important as I become part of the working world. I have seen my parents work jobs that include long hours after they come home from work and deal with stressful situations and unrecognized efforts to get their work done. I think my biggest argument against this article is that it primarily looks at the extremes and discusses them as if they are the absolutes. I think that the complaints they explained Gen Z has isn’t what I have found in practice while talking with older friends and family members with jobs and that the strain on the older generations is downplayed. I think this article was insightful to display this conflict in terminology but could have also focused on the more realistic days of a current worker. Personally I wonder where I land on this scale from accepting struggle for assurance in a better future and creating boundaries in the present especially in the industry I am expecting to go into. I know there has been a history of overworking in theater and I wonder how I will experience and deal with this.
Instead of staying at the surface level of observing Gen Z, I like how this article delves deeper into exploring the cultural and familial reasons behind these behaviors. Nowadays, a lot of social media content targets this generation negatively without considering the reasons behind their behavior, so I appreciate how this article takes the time to unpack them. Explaining such a broad concept by breaking it down into smaller scenarios and comparing how Gen Z might react differently from Boomers and Gen X was really effective to me. It allows readers to understand the issue through different perspectives and situations. I do question how definitively the article presents the differences between younger and older generations. It presents these behaviors as though they are certain to occur, without acknowledging alternative possibilities or individual differences. This could potentially reinforce negative misconceptions and stereotypes about Gen Z, causing people who do not behave in these ways to still be stereotyped as being part of the same group.
Post a Comment