Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Tuesday, September 01, 2026
51 Years Later, A Treasure Trove of Sci-Fi History is Going Up for Sale
www.inverse.com: But Phil Tippett is more than just a punchline. He’s also a special effects legend, pioneering the use of stop motion and other classic techniques in the foundational sci-fi and fantasy movies in the ‘80s and ‘90s. But now, he’s hanging up his sculpting tools and retiring, but not before selling off his vast collection for fans to enjoy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I had never heard of Phil Tippett until I read this article but after reading I now understand how much of a big name he was and the importance he has when it came to film. As someone who comes from a family of star wars and jurassic park fans it is really interesting to read up on what he has worked on and his own pursuits. It is very humorous that Phil Tippett is referred to as “Dinosaur Supervisor “ in the original Jurassic Park, that is something I had not noticed before. To hear that he is the legend who pioneered the use of stop motion while also being a special effects legend really interests me. Cause in the 80’s and 90’s stop motion played such a pivotal role in the success of films and projects the movie industry into an entirely new era. Tippett has worked on so many films and I am very happy to have had the opportunity to watch these films and see that work and appreciate it.
Older special effects in movies is such an interesting and impressive process to see. It is sad to see one of the greats retire, but I cannot imagine how much passion he has put into his work over the course of decades doing special effects. I do find it kind of sad that his items are being liquidated rather than being donated to museums. If I was a museum curator at the Academy Museum I would do everything in my power to open an exhibit about older special effects methods and highlight Tippett’s work. It is also very sad to read about Tippett having to shut down one of his studios due to bankruptcy; I really do hope that the other open studio continues to thrive and make movies. These incredible films that he’s worked on are what inspired filmmakers, special effects, sound, wardrobe, and any workers on sets–I think that it is so important that Tippett’s work continues to stay alive to continue to inspire people.
Part of creating art is sharing it with the world, sometimes that physical creations and other times its digital entertainment that can be shared with millions of people. Films specifically are able to tough the hearts of millions of people who all grow and appreciate it in different ways. I enjoy that the concept of retiring from the film industry can mean physically letting go of everything you have created and giving it to people who deeply appreciate your creative endeavors. People love to understand the behind the scenes of art that they connect with and giving up some of the physical props and special effects people can appreciate the work of those who created beautiful art. Movie props also allow more people to become a part of the film itself and maybe spark their interest in joining the industry. Being able to hold and touch the physical elements of digital media allow the creation process to feel real and not shrouded in mystery.
This is somehow the first time I have read anything about Phil Tippett and I can say that I am very sad about it. He seems so influential and creative and just an overall fun guy. There are so many people that the average enjoyer of media don’t know that have shaped their favorite media into what it is today. And I think it is important to learn about those creatives behind the scenes. One of my favorite things to do is go back and watch the behind the scenes video for my favorite movies, particularly the lord of the rings and hobbit trilogies, and learn about how much effort was put in by all of the people you never see. The creativity and artisanship Tippett has shown over his career is especially interesting to me because I know how much the looks of the props from the star wars movies have impacted the science fiction genre as a whole.
Post a Comment