CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, September 16, 2026

What You Can Do With a Theatre Degree Beyond Theatre

Playbill: You've all seen the semi-frequent discourse online—from disapproving elders who insist students study "practical" college degrees, to commenters wondering who can afford to study the arts, in this economy. Sadly, many people feel that a theatre degree, should you not end up working in the theatre, is obsolete.

2 comments:

Prudence Dwyer said...

We all come into a program like DP hoping to work in theatre, ideally backstage (literally or metaphorically, like being a designer). However, a lot of us have had to have the dreaded "what's your backup plan" conversation, with ourselves, a parent, a college/career counselor, or with any other number of concerned parties invested in your success. This article does a very solid job at saying more or less the same thing in several different ways: a good chunk of the skills you acquire when getting a B.A or B.F.A are more or less transferable to many different fields, and you don't have to be all doom and gloom regarding your future. While we're here, I think it's generally preferable to focus on the here and now and not already begin compromising on your dreams (as in, don't accept that you'll never work as a designer before you even have the chance to try, much less before you even declare). Moving forward, though, thinking about other fields that might make good use of your skills is an advisable idea.

Linnea Polen said...

Over the past year, when I tell someone I’m pursuing a degree in technical theater those who know me are excited and very supportive, and oftentimes any stranger I tell wishes me good luck with a very specific look on their face. Usually it is a combination of asking themselves what technical theater even is, and an expression of pity that I am about to waste a lot of money on a seemingly “useless” degree. For this reason, I am grateful for this article and its description of the baseline characteristics that students studying theater have, and how truly versatile a theater degree can be. I think these jobs are also important to recognize as the theater industry is in such a large period of change. With more sets becoming digital and the threat of A.I. taking creative’s jobs, the importance of being able to pivot from one industry to another is becoming a more valuable asset for anyone who holds a BA/BFA.