CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Oh, Mary! Stage Film Will Debut on HBO, Starring Cole Escola

Playbill: Great days are officially ahead in 2027! The live stage film of Oh, Mary! will debut on HBO and stream on HBO Max next year. The play was filmed in London's West End July 28, with writer and original Broadway star Cole Escola in the title role. Sam Pinkleton re-created his Tony-winning direction for the screen version as well. A premiere date is to be announced.

3 comments:

Caitlyn W said...

I think there's a really good thing about filming theatre performances. In a way yes it can be harmful towards the core of theatre which is live entertainment. But there are also limitations to who can see live performances especially broadway ones when they only stay in one place and traveling as well as tickets are quite expensive. Streaming theatre performances on HBO Max or other streaming websites I think actually works really well as publicity towards encouraging people to go see the live performance of it. A similar style of releasing a video of the performance to encourage people to come see it live was done with Hamilton. It boosted the show to an all time popularity and made the show accessible to people all over the world spreading the joy and experience of live theatre in a minuscule amount. Hopefully Oh Mary! Sees the same success as past video performances.

Sophie Allen said...

I love that this show is getting a proshot. This show is so incredibly original, funny, and smart, With subtle and not so subtle political commentary. It is extremely important to make theater, especially new original plays, to a wider audience. It allows young people to see that theater is not just about musicals or traditional Shakespeare plays, it can be about anything. While I think that bootlegs can be both harmful and helpful, proshots make the production more successful and be given to a much wider audience not just around the country but around the world. This show has made such a good living by rotating a completely new cast in and out with stars like Bowen Yang drawing audiences from all over. Cole Escola who is starring in the pro shot has won a tony award which is so great. And this is the first time he is reprising the role since winning.

brice shearburn said...

I am so excited for the filmed version of Oh, Mary! to come out. I’ve been dying to see this show, and while I’m hoping to get a chance to see it live, I think it's wonderful that Oh, Mary! Is being filmed and will be more widely accessible. I also think it's interesting that Cole Escola is reprising the role of Mary Todd Lincoln for the filmed version, although it is not that surprising since they won a Tony Award for their portrayal of the role in 2025. While I don’t know much about Oh, Mary! I’ve heard so many good reviews, and I’m especially interested in the wide variety of people who have portrayed Mary Todd Lincoln over the course of the show's run. I think it's really cool that so many people who come from such different performance backgrounds have brought Mary Todd to life, and I’m intrigued by the similarities and differences in each of their performances.