Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Friday, September 18, 2026
Los Angeles Opera Issues Statement Regarding Center Square Foundation Findings
OperaWire: In light of reports indicating that the Los Angeles Opera is under investigation for its tax returns, the company has a released a statement.
The company states that, “The LA Opera is committed to transparency and responsible stewardship of public and private resources.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I found this to be very disheartening. If the investigation reveals significant fraud, I worry about the effect on the arts and governmental funding as a whole. I think it’s shameful and disappointing if the LA Opera, such a valued cultural institution, was truly misusing its funds, or misleading the public about their spending; that’s something that deserves correction and penalties. However, I also worry that, if true, this could lead to a drop in government funding for other art institutions - if precedent is set for institutions misusing or overspending their grant money, it’s entirely possible that the government could start cutting back on the funding they provide, under the assumption that the recipients would be spending it poorly. This would, obviously, cause a multitude of problems throughout the entire artistic community, and possibly lead to closures and a loss of culture of people and institutions everywhere.
Post a Comment