CMU School of Drama


Friday, September 18, 2026

Katie Brook Takes the Helm as Quantum Theatre's New Director

OnStagePittsburgh: No stranger to Pittsburgh or Quantum, Brook earned her MFA in Directing from Carnegie Mellon University’s School of Drama in 2012 and, while living in Pittsburgh during the pandemic, directed Quantum’s The Cherry Orchard in 2022, when Boos led the cast as Madame Ranevskaya. Brook will direct the world premiere of radio island, written by Liza Birkenmeier (MFA Dramatic Writing, CMU School of Drama), for Quantum, opening October 23, 2026.

1 comment:

Cal Murphy said...

I really liked this article! It’s super interesting to hear about the evolution of Quantum Theatre, especially considering its connections and proximity to CMU! Additionally, it’s always cool to see what CMU alums are doing now, and it’s heartening to see one be so successful. I think it’s great that Quantum is allowing itself to grow and change; Karla Boos was both the founder and original artistic director, and while she did amazing things in that role, I think it’s great that she’s able to step down and allow the theatre to grow, while still preserving the original values of the organization. I also like how she was able to look for her own replacement, and her excitement at letting Katie Brooks take over is truly admirable. As a whole, I think this change will be really good for Quantum, and I can’t wait to see what they do next!