CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Halloween Meets Día de los Muertos at Disneyland Resort

theknockturnal.com: Forget the summer heat forecast—fall has officially arrived at Disneyland Resort. This year, the season brings two distinctly different celebrations together, with Halloween Time taking over the resort through Oct. 31 and Plaza de la Familia honoring the traditions and spirit of Día de los Muertos through Nov. 2.

1 comment:

brice shearburn said...

The Plaza de Familias at Disneyland is one of the most interesting things I've heard about Disney doing recently, although I’m not the most up to date on all of the Disney News. Día de los Muertos is such a beautiful and important holiday, and I was lucky enough to grow up using the holiday to remember loved ones. A lot of my peers, however, had never heard of Día de los Muertos until we talked about it in school Spanish class in second or third grade. Younger kids grew up with the movie Coco, which is centered around Día de los Muertos, so many of them have at least heard of the holiday, but the Plaza de Familias is such a cool way for kids to learn about the importance, culture, and traditions of a holiday they may not celebrate at home. However, this coin has two sides. Although learning and appreciating other cultures is great for kids, turning a holiday into a theme park attraction raises some questions about the commercialization of Día de los Muertos. Without proper education, many of the children visiting the Plaza de Familias may see the holiday as just another halloween party, except this party has more color and calaveras for decoration. I don’t think this exhibit is inherently bad, in fact I think it has great potential, but that it has to be well thought out and well executed to prevent the attraction from causing harm instead of good.