CMU School of Drama


Monday, August 03, 2026

Why ‘Spider-Man: Brand New Day’ Could Be A Turning Point For ScreenX

www.forbes.com: ScreenX is built around a simple idea: why settle for one screen when you can have three? In addition to the main projector, it adds two more, to project additional images onto side-wall screens for a wraparound 270° view of the action.

1 comment:

Jackson Watts said...

While ScreenX is a novel idea I don't think that it will serve as much more than a novelty. While having peripheral objects visible on ScreenX is interesting I don't think that it will be useful enough to films for many films to make full use of the extra screen real estate. Changing the aspect ratio of media in this way is kind of like a chicken and egg problem. A film making full use of the much wider aspect ratio of ScreenX would be less successful because the vast majority of theaters are not built for that aspect ratio. And theaters that are built for that aspect ratio are rare because very few movies take advantage of an ultra wide aspect ratio. Even with the shot for ScreenX program I think that this will remain a secondary aspect ratio at best rather than being the true intended experience of the movie. In the past aspect ratios have changed because it allowed directors to better convey information and draw focus. I think that the production costs of shooting for a full 270 degrees of action will outweigh the immersion gained from seeing action happening in your peripheral vision.