CMU School of Drama


Monday, April 05, 2021

Backstage with The Bindlestiff Open Stage Variety Show: Quarantine Edition (With Help from Popsicle Kitteh)

Control Geek: I’ve long been fans of my friends in the Bindlestiff Family Cirkus, a scrappy and effective organization that has survived for more than 25 years. I’ve shot photos for them, and generally helped out whenever I could. In the before times, Bindlestiff produced a monthly “open stage” variety show at Dixon Place, which is always fun place for circus and variety acts old and new to try stuff out. The sense of community at these events is palpable.

1 comment:

Owen Sahnow said...

Interesting to see how this show is produced from a technical standpoint. I watched the first edition of the zoom show because the circus performer I worked for in high school was performing and that was the beginning of the pandemic when the idea of zoom shows was interesting and new. Other than a few minor delays, the show was entertaining and there were some new gags by the performers as they were using the new medium. It seems like the use of zoom as a medium for live streaming is a challenge because it isn’t built for that. It’s funny how the people streaming have to use a video camera emulator to pretend that it’s a live input. I’m curious if this medium will continue because the whole deal with live shows is the people, so I get the feeling that live streams may become a thing of the past.