CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, April 28, 2021

An experiment: Attending a CounterPulse show, first online, then in person

Datebook: In July, the dance and performance art presenter CounterPulse asked its audiences what their attendance desires and safety preferences were, thinking it might be able to safely host indoor events again at its Tenderloin venue by fall. “This survey told us we should pump the brakes in reopening,” recalls Justin Ebrahemi, the company’s director of communications and advancement. “A lot of people were not comfortable being in a full house again or waiting in line to purchase a ticket.”

1 comment:

Jonah Carleton said...

What an interesting read! Like the author of this article, I have been thinking a lot about the lack of transportation that comes from virtual theatre vs. in person. No matter how well executed it ended up being, I never found virtual theatre to be as engaging as it could have been live. At first, like the author of this article, I solely blamed the fact that I wasn't in a theatre on my lack of engagement. But I confused myself after realizing that I can sit down and immerse myself in a movie at home with no problem. So it was possible for me to tune out distractions even without leaving my room.
In the end I decided that movies are designed and calibrated with this in mind. They often require less of a suspension of disbelief and thus less “effort” put into watching it. Theatre requires viewers to go that extra mile, so actually going to a completely different environment is more of a necessity.