CMU School of Drama


Friday, April 23, 2021

Victor Glemaud’s Costumes for the American Ballet Theatre: See the Photos

Vanity Fair: Ballet has officially returned for the first time since the start of the pandemic, and this time with an exciting surprise. On April 25th, the American Ballet Theatre will be debuting Lauren Lovette’s La Follia Variations in Segerstrom Hall in California as a part of the program “Uniting in Movement” composed of three works by contemporary choreographers: Jessica Lang, Lauren Lovette, and Darrell Grand Moultrie.

2 comments:

Evan Riley said...

I found this article fairly interesting. I am not familiar with Victor Glemaud but this article has inspired me to do some more research. I think all the photographs are really fantastic and make me excited to see more from the actual production. I do find it a little odd that they decided to use a fashion designer for their first performance back since the pandemic. The article said he has never designed for Ballet, which makes me wonder why he was the choice for coming back. I guess i just am questioning why they chose a new fashion designer instead of a ballet costume designer who has been out of work for the past year and needs a job. I also wish the article would have highlighted more information about the construction of the costumes, where are they being made? How are they being made safely during the pandemic? All it really said was the costumes are bright and colorful and like yeah i have eyes I can see that.

Rhiannnon said...

I agree with Evan, I found it strange that he designs ready to wear fashion but he was chosen to design for this ballet. There is nothing wrong with him expanding his skills, It just seemed an odd choice because I assume there are some functionality aspects to the design that designers who frequently make ballet costumes would know. Not only that, but there are many designers who work in live theater who have been out of work due to the pandemic. I did love his choice of color pallet. I thought the bright colors were very fun and worked well together.