CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, April 28, 2021

my older brother told me a story once

by isaac gómez | Apr, 2021 | Medium: I could say a lot about each of these institutions, but I won’t. For the context of this prayer, all you need to know is that each of these companies took a piece of my spirit that I’ve been trying to get back. My healing is a very private process. I don’t need anyone to bear witness. I don’t need anyone cancelled or fired or dragged through the mud. Public shaming does nothing for me. It doesn’t heal me, which is all I want.

1 comment:

Vanessa Mills said...

This is a beautiful post. As a Black and Mexican woman, I felt almost every word of this post deep in my chest. Thanks to my Black father’s and my Mexican mother’s hard work, I’ve been able to live comfortably. That being said, I’ve also gotten very, very good at talking to white people. And similarly to the author of this post, almost every discussion that has had to do with my academic and artistic path to success has caused me harm in some way. BIPOC have always had to give 200% to get to the same level a white person could get at 50%. I took a little break after reading this post in order to really think about it, but I can’t stop thinking about eh metaphor that Isaac Gómez was pointing out. I wish I could point out what that metaphor is, but I think I’m going to have to keep thinking long and hard to figure out what the metaphor means to me. This has probably been my favorite post to read out of all those I read for my weekly comments (no offense David), and it’s definitely the one that will stick with me the most. I am very grateful I got the chance to see this.