CMU School of Drama


Monday, April 26, 2021

Mattress Factory's new Factory Installed exhibition features frat boys, folk dancing, and more

Visual Art | Pittsburgh | Pittsburgh City Paper: The Mattress Factory has always striven to showcase the best new voices in contemporary art, an effort made clear by the latest edition of its regular Factory Installed program. The show takes visitors through multiple levels of Mattress Factory's main building on Pittsburgh's North Side to view works by five different artists. The national roster includes Chicago-based duo Luftwerk, multi-media installation artist Andréa Stanislav, Jeffrey Augustine Songco, a Carnegie Mellon University alum who hails from New Jersey.

2 comments:

Reiley Nymeyer said...

I had been wanting since the Mattress Factory reopened to find time in my schedule to go and look at the exhibits before I went home for the summer. Although that doesn’t seem possible now, sadly, this article is really enticing me to just skip a class or a homework assignment and just go. I always like contemporary art museums because I feel like they’re easier to make a commentary on, and they’re fun to go with friends. It can truly be an event. The Mattress Factory in particular, I hear great things about. I’ll definitely make sure to go once my schedule permits. Hopefully soon!

Jonah Carleton said...

I absolutely love that the Mattress Factory has such a constantly shifting collection! All these pieces sound vastly different both in their implied meaning and their style and execution. I visited the Mattress Factory a few months ago and didn't even realize that some installations were not permanent. They all felt so fully realized and committed to that I assumed there was no way they would be or could be removed in the near future.
Each of these new installations sound super interesting. I wish the author could have included more images so I could get a better idea of what some of the pieces looked like. After doing a little more research on each of the artists I am able to interpret this review better.
I wonder how the Mattress Factory decides which artists can install their work at the same times. Do all the separate pieces fit together under some overarching theme?