CMU School of Drama


Thursday, April 27, 2023

Interview: Olivier-Nominated LIFE OF PI Composer Andrew T. Mackay on Discovering the Show's Sound

www.broadwayworld.com: The Olivier Award-winning Life of Pi, which originally opened in the West End, is now coming to life on Broadway every night at the Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre. Lolita Chakrabarti's stage adaptation of Yann Martel's best-selling novel, follows sixteen-year-old Pi, who is stranded on a lifeboat in the middle of the Pacific Ocean with four other survivors: a hyena, a zebra, an orangutan, and a Royal Bengal tiger.

1 comment:

Selina Wang said...

Although I haven’t seen the production of ‘Life of Pi' myself, I keep hearing wonderful reviews about the show! What I appreciate the most from this article is how collaborative and responsive Mackay was, especially in the part where he was talking about rehearsals. I think it is also great for the composers and designers to come in and show their works to the cast as well as the rest of the production team. I believe it pushes not only more feedback, but also for more collaboration across the entire team. The challenging nature of the script itself meant that Mackay had to cover a variety of sound scopes and I appreciate him for breaking it down into three different elements, and it makes so much sense even for someone who doesn’t necessarily have a lot of experience with sound, such as myself. I’m excited to find out more interesting behind-the-scenes stories about this show and hope to see it in person one day!