CMU School of Drama


Monday, April 24, 2023

Your mullet is more than a haircut, it's a political statement – a hair historian explains

theconversation.com: From Paul Mescal at the Baftas to Emma Corrin’s Governors Awards “mixie” haircut, the 1970s-inspired shaggy mullet is everywhere. But the now-popular “business up front and party in the back” style has a political history stretching far beyond the red carpet and the influence of pop icons such as David Bowie. In fact, descriptions of mullet-like hairstyles feature prominently in the very first Anglo-Indigenous encounters of the 17th century.

2 comments:

Sukie Wang said...

This is such an interesting and meaningful article. I have never realized that it has been making such an important impact in history and its repeating recurrence in history where similar events happen. Mullet haircuts have certainly made a comeback in recent years. It is an really interesting style that has been around for decades, and it seems to be popular among many people, especially those who like to experiment with their hair. The hairstyle that I have now is mullet but a longer version where I don’t have much more layers with longer length of hair. Being someone who have it, I never realize the deeper meaning behind it. I personally think that a lot of the fashion choices that I’m making as a person is often because I think I look good and it shows what I wishes to show and never realize the deeper meaning behind each piece.

Kendall Swartz said...

I really liked this article because it was so interesting on how hair history affects the way mullets are seen. I personally thought mullets were created in the 60s. I did not know that mullets had been created during the Renaissance. The history behind hair is so interesting but it is even more interesting of how it developed over the years and changed the perception of the way audiences saw it. One of the other reasons I clicked on this article was because of my want to be in the hair and makeup industry at some point in my life. I also really liked how David Bowie was mentioned in this article because personally I have used him as a reference point. David Bowie has made such an impact in pop culture and it makes sense that his hair is part of that as well as what he wore and the way he did his makeup.