CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Arena Stage names Hana Sharif as its new artistic director

dctheaterarts.org: Arena Stage at the Mead Center for American Theater announced that its Board of Trustees has unanimously selected Hana Sharif, Augustin Family Artistic Director of The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis, as its next Artistic Director. She will succeed Molly Smith, who is retiring at the end of June after 25 years with the company. Joining Executive Producer Edgar Dobie at the helm of the landmark regional theater, the trailblazing Sharif will be only the fourth artistic director in the company’s history.

1 comment:

CrimsonCreek said...

As a patron of the Arena Stage I am quite excited. When I received one of the many spam letters from them in the email I thought very little of it. For I am currently in Pittsburgh and don’t plan on hopping back to DC for a while. However; I read the title and then decided to read more. Hearing that Molly Smith was leaving the Theatre was quite surprising. Not because she hasn’t been working for a WHILE, she has, but because…that. She’s been here for so long I had taken it for a given. I wasn’t upset at all though. I guess I was surprised. Anyways, now I read the current article months after that. All I can say is yay. We need to give more opportunities to people of color in roles of command. Hana Sharif seems like a very competent replacement. Not only for her diversity work but her statistics in community engagement and grosses. I have lately been more and more disinterested in the shows by the Arena Stage. Between just not feeling much for them to just flat out refusing to mention a dreaded applauded production by them. For how the casting and the creative process was harmful towards the disabled and queer community.