CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Creating Your Mission Statement as a Creative Entrepreneur

SoundGirls.org: As a creative person, it can be a pretty big shift to think like a business owner. Entrepreneurial instincts aren’t exactly natural for all of us, just as musicality isn’t as natural for some as others. As I’ve worked with artists, songwriters, musicians and creatives of all kinds, I’ve found that creating a “mission statement” of sorts can get the ball rolling into a disciplined music business that is an authentic reflection of who you are.

1 comment:

Rayya Gracy said...

This article is a great example as to why I am always preaching that designers and actors should take business classes! We have to learn how to market ourselves and our work to a multitude of people on a daily basis and how do you do that efficiently without knowing any fundamental knowledge on how the business scene inside and outside of the business work! Creating a solid, recognizable, eye catching mission statement is vitiate to your success as a creative artist. Which is why I appreciate Kaja for having us look at various companies mission statements and create our home. I think the more practice we get with creating and fine tuning our mission statements the better. This is the first time I've seen an article surrounding the business aspect of our career field and I would love to read/ see more! I think this article does a great in relying effective information in a simple and efficient manner.