CMU School of Drama


Friday, April 21, 2023

IATSE Commends Reps. Chu and Buchanan for Continuing Fight to Restore Tax Fairness for Arts Workers

IATSE: Today, Representatives Judy Chu (D-CA) and Vern Buchanan (R-FL) once again introduced the bipartisan Performing Artists Tax Parity Act (PATPA) in the U.S. House of Representatives. The legislation provides a necessary update to the Qualified Performing Artist (QPA) tax deduction, correcting an unintended consequence of the 2017 Tax Cut and Jobs Act that drastically increased taxes for middle class creative professionals.

1 comment:

Abby Brunner said...

It is encouraging that Congress is taking a stand for better rights for for theatre workers. I wish it was surprising to me to hear that most theatre workers like makeup artists and cinematographers have to pay out of pocket for their supplies, but as I have learned most of the time the supplies you need to do a good job come from your own money and salary. I am impressed that IATSE is taking such a big stand by trying to get PATPA signed into law so that theatre workers receive more compensation for the supplies they need. I hope that this legislation is the leap into change that the theatre industry is need of when it comes to theatre workers’ rights and rightful pay. It is surprising to me how often I read about workers' rights in the industry and fighting for either equal pay or workable safe hours, and I am hoping that a positive change is coming for the theatre industry. I hope that by the time I am working full-time in the industry fighting for equal pay and rightful pay won’t be as much of an issue and be resolved.