CMU School of Drama


Thursday, April 20, 2023

Disney upped the ante for the 25th anniversary of ‘The Lion King’: behind the campaign that made waves

Broadway News: When “The Lion King” turned 20 (in 2017), Disney Theatrical Group celebrated. The team shared more behind-the-scenes details than ever before, threw a block party in Times Square and went big on an anniversary performance and afterparty — Elton John-live-onstage big. And yet, as the 25th Broadway anniversary peeked over the horizon in November 2022, the campaign surrounding “The Lion King” took the marketing of the long-running musical to the next level.

2 comments:

B Hanser said...

The idea of Lion King being a generational show really resonates with me, as my dad is a huge Lion King lover and took me to see the show. This article made me reflect on the fact that my dad lost his father in his teen years and how grateful I am that he was able to share Lion King with me as it is a storyline about love, loss, and family. I didn’t realize how all out Disney went for their anniversary celebrations. I’m honestly excited to see if something similar happens with Frozen. And it’s really fortunate that Lion Kings anniversary fell in line with the end of the pandemic allowing them to connect with people in a way that they never could before.

B Hanser said...

I am now going to go watch that Ad and I will probably share it with my father. Which is exactly the point of why it was made, so I’d call that a success on their marketing team! My guess is he will also suggest we go see it again, so really double good job to the team! And happy 25th to The Lion King.