CMU School of Drama


Thursday, April 11, 2024

Book Marks: Towards Good Lighting For The Stage: Aesthetic Theory for Theatrical Lighting Design

Live Design Online: Before I even opened the cover of Towards Good Lighting for the Stage: Aesthetic Theory for Theatrical Lighting Design, I was hoping to enjoy it. While I have never met the author, Marcus Doshi, his name is unforgettable to me. That is because the first Broadway show I saw after the COVID 19 pandemic, in fact the first Broadway show to open after the pandemic, was Pass Over by Antoinette Chinonye Nwandu.

1 comment:

Sarah Pearce said...

As someone who has begun their tech theater book collection, it was lovely to read this book review. I had never heard of the authors name before, nor the show Pass Over. So I was thrilled to see the pictures included in the article. And I can see why the author of the article was so thrilled as well, as there were multiple instances of very interesting lighting components. And how very lovely that both the author of the book and author of this article both were taught and inspired by the same person! It’s such a special connection to have with other people! And as the author noted, what a great reminder of how small our theater world truly is, and how important it is to cherish those who you appreciate within the industry. I hope I’ll be able to read this book someday, as the focus on the aesthetic of lighting I find very interesting, an angle to which I would love to view lighting more of.