CMU School of Drama


Thursday, April 18, 2024

Transforming Fabric into Flesh, Tamara Kostianovsky Fuses Cruelty and Beauty

Colossal: If you walked into an exhibition featuring work from Tamara Kostianovsky in recent years, you likely encountered life-sized carcasses dangling from meat hooks. The Argentine-American artist (previously) is perhaps best known for these carnal sculptures of bone and flesh made from patterned fabric scraps. Newer additions include botanical vines winding through ribs and tropical birds perched inside that vacillate between beauty and brutality.

1 comment:

willavu said...

This is really cool. something I always loved about theater is the ability to turn something fake into something that feels so real. a little world on stage is how I like to think about it, and something like this really makes me inspired. as a young artist I learned a lot of techniques about how to make art and how to make one thing look like another, that's something so cool about art is that you have the choice to replicate something or adopt something or reproduce something the way you want to do it. This also reminded me of something, earlier this year I met an artist named Jennifer yang, she made the paper she painted on at a vegetables. she would slice the vegetables so thin that they were translucent and light could pass through them, she dried the vegetables out and there was her paper. this paper would create a whole new type of paper, it wasn't only what she Drew on anymore, not only the canvas, but a piece of art within the art. it was things so special and beautiful and simple yet complex I found out about and it really inspired me and reminded me of this article.