CMU School of Drama


Monday, April 22, 2024

How ‘Hadestown’ went from surprise Off-Broadway hit to Broadway mainstay

www.broadwaynews.com: When “Hadestown” premiered Off-Broadway at New York Theatre Workshop (NYTW), there wasn’t a plan to take it to Broadway. “At that point, I was like, ‘Oh, we’re going to get a warehouse space and make it an immersive thing,” “Hadestown” lead producer Mara Isaacs told Broadway News. “Then what we learned from watching the way audiences responded to the show was that we actually had something that was commercial.”

1 comment:

Abigail Lytar said...

Hades Town has been on my bucket list of shows to see for a long time now. Unfortunately I have not had the chance to see it yet, but I want to see it if not for any other reason than just to see what all the hype is. Sadly, I do not believe it will live up to the hype as everytime I see something that is incredibly popular in modern culture I do not understand the massive hype behind it. Typically it will be decent but it never quite lives up to what everyone has been saying and gushing about for years prior. I did not understand the hype for Hamiliton, I didn't understand the hype for La La Land and I did not understand the hype for Endgame. They were all good but not nearly as good as everyone made them out to be. To me though this article was very interesting because it is not often that I am aware of that one gets to know most of the road to fame of a show. Especially one that started out with lower operations and ended up being one of the most sought after shows on Broadway today. Overall I really enjoyed reading this article.