CMU School of Drama


Monday, April 15, 2024

Revised Unsinkable Molly Brown Musical Released for Licensing

Playbill: Music Theatre International has released Dick Scanlan's revised version of Meredith Willson's The Unsinkable Molly Brown for licensing in the U.S. This new version, which features a new book and a revised songlist interpolating some tunes from Willson's archives, premiered at Denver Center for the Performing Arts in 2014, later playing Off-Broadway via Transport Group in 2020.

1 comment:

Abigail Lytar said...

“The Unsinkable Molly Brown” is something I grew up hearing all the time either in reference to its historical connotations or as a motivation to never give up, to never sink. Hearing this phrase always seems to bring back a bit of a melancholy feeling because it is something my mom used to say to me when I was struggling or ready to give up. She would say something like “Be Molly Brown, never let them win, never give up.” I suppose after all those years it is something I have taken to heart. It is never over until you throw in the towel, keep fighting until there is no fight left, because the only thing that cannot be taken from you is your fight. So be determined and never give up. In Molly Brown's case not even, the Titanic could bring her down, hence the name unsinkable, and she was instrumental in the women's rights movement, never giving up her fight. I am excited to hopefully see this show on Broadway because I think we can all benefit from taking a page from Molly Brown’s book.