CMU School of Drama


Monday, March 18, 2024

Video game designer, animator, Jeopardy! contestant: Meet Julian Glander

Visual Art | Pittsburgh | Pittsburgh City Paper: In the upstairs office of his Lawrenceville home, Julian Glander demonstrates to Pittsburgh City Paper how he makes his digital 3D artwork. “Here’s something I used to do a lot,” the 33-year-old artist says, grabbing a nearby how-to guide by children’s book artist Ed Emberley. A page at the start of the book, Glander says, displays simple shapes and promises that, so long as an aspiring artist can draw those shapes, they can draw any of the animals in the book.

1 comment:

willavu said...

Julian Glander is someone quite inspiring to me. Not because I am dying to pursue video game design, animation, and definitely not Jeopardy. But the fact that Glander can pull it all off is what is interesting to me. I am someone who likes to acquire skills, I think trade skills are something that will never ‘get old.’ Knowing how to do stuff will not go out of trend. One of the reasons I like to do technical theater, and am doing it even though I don’t see myself doing tech all my life. Is because it teaches me skills that I can translate into everyday life. It also can be a creative outlet. I think any real artist needs to know how to do skills, an artist cannot be reliant on someone to do something else for their art. Art is something that is of course collaborative with the eye, but it is extremely individualistic. I was raised by artists who did everything for themselves, they also aren’t strictly one thing. Both began as painters but realized art should be interdisciplinary, now they are art artists– painters, printmakers, sculptors, screen printers, and that is what an artist should be.