CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, March 26, 2024

What are microcredentials? And are they worth having?

New Pittsburgh Courier: As private firms and governments struggle to fill jobs – and with the cost of college too high for many students – employers and elected officials are searching for alternative ways for people to get good jobs without having to earn a traditional college degree. Microcredentials are one such alternative. But just what are microcredentials? And do they lead to better jobs and higher earnings?

1 comment:

Ellie Yonchak said...

Something that surprised me a lot was the gender gap when it comes to the worthwhile-ness of micro credentials. For me personally, Micro credentials have always been sort of lauded as something like this, something where it would just look better on your resume and you would get more job security because of it. but this has never been quite true for me in my theatrical experience applying for jobs. it makes a lot of sense to me that this is for more male-dominated fields, although I'm not quite sure if I can verbalize particularly why.I think, maybe the best way I can explain it is that in more male-dominated fields, micro credentials are usually seen as an added bonus, wearing some female dominated fields, micro credentials are just sort of seen as something where they're not really sure why you spent the time getting that credential.