CMU School of Drama


Thursday, March 28, 2024

Rebecca Frecknall Is Bringing ‘Cabaret’ Back to Broadway

The New York Times: When Rebecca Frecknall was a child, one of her favorite things to watch was a televised 1993 London revival of “Cabaret,” which her father had recorded on VHS tape. As the British theater director grew up, she hoped that one day she would stage a version of the musical, in which a writer falls in love with an exuberant and wayward cabaret performer in Weimar-era Germany.

1 comment:

Reigh Wilson said...

I have been very interested in the West End’s revival of Cabaret that is currently happening since I was absolutely blown away by Amy Lennox’s performance of “Cabaret” at the Olivier’s some time back. I thought there was such an interesting directionality of the character that was striking and raw and looked more into it. In reading reviews for it I realized that they completely transformed the theater and made it an immersive experience from the bars, to merch stands, to the actual theater. I thought it would really add something to the performance to immediately tell the audience that they are in another world, and especially considering that they (I believe) made the stage set in the round, was going for immersive and succeeding. I did not get a chance to see it on the West End when I was over there a while back and was so excited to see that they were transferring it to broadway. I am curious to see what they will keep or alter from what I know of the West End production, but it’ll definitely be one I keep my eye out for!