CMU School of Drama


Monday, November 13, 2023

Time Traveling in Costume: OUR ANNUAL HISTORICAL FASHION SHOW AT LANTERN CREST RETIREMENT COMMUNITY

timetravelingincostume.blogspot.com: The Historical Dressers just held our 3rd fashion show for the Lantern Crest Retirement Community a week ago. The theme I wrote was Historical Dressing for the Holidays. My first idea was to wear Christmasy dresses but then a couple models started suggesting other holidays, like Easter and St Patrick’s Day. And it went from there. This gave us a wider variety of colors and time periods to include, which I wanted it to be bright and shiny. It also gave me an idea for writing my narrative for them.

1 comment:

Julia Adilman said...

This article was so wholesome. I love the fact that Val, an experienced costume designer, puts on these fashion shows in retirement homes. I feel like this is such a brilliant way to use your talents and skills to get involved with your community. The people within the retirement community must love this. Doing events like this can really go a long way to help make a community feel even more connected and special. It seems like Val, the costume designer, truly does put a lot of thought into these activities, and I love how the costumes both fit a period and a holiday as a way to make the residents think back to their own special memories. I also thought that it was adorable that even kids were involved. I kind of want to know more about how these events began because it feels like Val has been doing this for a while and even her mom was a part of these fashion shows.