CMU School of Drama


Thursday, November 16, 2023

Back To The Future Video: Finn Ross Makes An Ordinary Town Magical

Live Design Online: Scottish video designer Finn Ross explored the emerging world of video design and media servers early in the century with companies that include Complicité and English National Opera. Since then, he’s designed for major opera houses and theaters in London and the United States, as well as on Broadway. His designs include Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Mean Girls, American Psycho, Betrayal, and Frozen. In 2015 he co-founded FRAY Studio.

2 comments:

Abigail Lytar said...

As someone who is interested in the concept and execution of VMD I found this article interesting. Seeing projections in shows usually gives me mixed feelings. When done well I enjoy them however when they are not done well it is disappointing and I find that it takes away from the show. When I heard Back to the future was being turned into a musical I wondered how they would achieve the effects. Knowing that they were done mainly with VMD I am not sure how I feel about that. Seeing Moulin Rouge I actually liked the Projections and thought they added to the show, however seeing the Wiz I was very disappointed. I will not offer an opinion until I have the chance to see the BTTF musical but I am very intrigued based on what I saw in the clip in the article.

Harshitha Bharghava said...

Honestly; this was SUCH a good musical. Yeah, was the plot a little mundane compared to the movies? Yes, BUT, the set design, tech, and literally everything else made up for it. This musical was actually the musical I saw on broadway that made me fully question what concentration I wanted to peruse in college. What I loved about this musical was the use of VMD in certain scenes, like when Marty is filming Doc, or when Marty slowly sees his family disappear on a projected photograph in Doc’s lair. But it wasn't just VMD, but also the lights! The use of LEDs as stated in the article, gave the stage so much life, and it was beautiful. what I particularly liked was how the lights looked like circuit boards, going up the sides of the proscenium arch, and out into the audience. I did see this production when it was in previews back in July of this year! and since it was in previews, i really wonder how MUCH has changed from then to now regarding the technical aspects of it!