CMU School of Drama


Monday, November 13, 2023

The humor and heart inherent in hoarding in ‘I Need That’ at Broadway’s American Airlines Theatre

DC Theater Arts: Award-winning playwright Theresa Rebeck takes a very human look at hoarding, loss, the cherished memories inherent in objects, and the need to move on in the world-premiere comedy I Need That, commissioned by Roundabout Theatre Company and written specifically for stars Danny DeVito and his daughter Lucy DeVito, in her Broadway debut.

1 comment:

Kelsey Harlow said...

I imagine that this show is extremely funny. I do think that there is a little bit of an upper hand when casting two people in the same family that have a previously built connection. There is a little trouble there. What if they bring their personal lives into the rehearsal room? It also makes me question the viability of the show. Can it be done with other actors to the same caliber as it is with the DeVito family? What is it like when an understudy is in for a performance? I do think that something so real and grounded, like hording, is something interesting to bring to a theatre. I think it is something that so many people can connect to in one sense or another. I have mixed feelings on if shows should be written with specific actors in mind like this one with the Devito’s in it.