CMU School of Drama


Friday, March 24, 2023

Helen Park could make Tony Awards history with KPOP score

GoldDerby: The lifespan of the new Broadway musical “KPOP” was cut dramatically short, but that doesn’t mean the show is out of the running at the upcoming Tony Awards. “KPOP” pulls back the curtain on the Korean music phenomenon. The musical follows solo act MwE (played by actual KPOP sensation Luna) as she endures a grueling training regimen and bears the weight of impossibly high expectations on her quest to stardom. Two other KPOP groups fill out the story by showcasing the behind-the-scenes tension which often simmers within the group dynamic.

2 comments:

Jackson Underwood said...

As sad as it is that it’s taken this long, Helen Park being the first Asian composer with a musical on Broadway is a huge accomplishment. Asian and Asian-American stories are always overlooked in theatre and on Broadway, and I think KPOP pushed a lot of boundaries. I’m a huge fan of Kpop (the music), so seeing how short the run on Broadway was made me sad, especially because there were several iconic Kpop idols in the cast. The Kpop trainee system is a tough and grueling one, and the musical was a way for those stories to be told. It is so disappointing to see such an important show be canceled after just 17 performances. Regardless, the production team put in so much work crafting such an amazing show, and they do not deserve to be forgotten or swept under the rug. I hope they get the recognition they deserve.

Sukie Wang said...

This is a well deserved award and I’m really excited for it. I’m extremely sad that KPOP is now closed on broadway as it is such a production that I enjoy and had a lot of fun with. When I first saw it in November of last year, it was mind blowing and scary for me in a way which I didn’t know that things that happened on that stage could ever happen. From costume to sound, I was so impressed by their ability to show a great show to their audiences. Kpop has become one of the most popular music type around the world. Their existence as Asians in this industry encourages people who are passion about being on the stage to chase after their dreams and take up opportunities. I’m so proud yet sad about this award. While it is well deserved, it is sad that it takes so long, especially after closing, for Helen Park to be awarded.