CMU School of Drama


Thursday, March 30, 2023

Puppetry’s Moment! An Oscar, Broadway Debut, Museum Blockbuster, String of Festivals

New York Theater: “Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio” won an Oscar for Best Animated Feature this month, not the first movie with puppets to win an Oscar – “The Sound of Music” and “The Godfather” both featured puppets, although they got little screen time; “The Muppets” movie won an Oscar in 2012 for Best Original Song, “Man or Muppet” – but arguably the first to win for its puppetry.

1 comment:

Allison Schneider said...

I feel like I can never decide if I like the use of puppets. Though I’m learning at CMU that its never so black and white. Every rule has an exception and the answer is always ‘well, it depends’. The puppets like those used in Life of Pi, Into the Woods, and Lion king are great examples of puppets I enjoy watching. Somehow these talented puppeteers turn these inanimate objects into characters with thoughts and emotions. I’ve been taught a bit about the artistry of puppets and puppeteering but I think it will always astound me to see how such small intricate details invoke emotions in an audience. It is also so interesting to think of how such almost imperceptive details signal emotions to an audience. What the angle of a head tilt is can determine so much of how an audience sees a character. Not only do humans brains have to recognize such subtle body language in a non-human, but to then have it identified by puppeteers is fascinating. I imagine that with such strong perceptiveness from puppeteers, they must be able to read the body language of humans extremely well.