CMU School of Drama


Monday, March 27, 2023

Hey, That's Mine! Art Ownership in the AI Age

AMT Lab @ CMU: Text-to-image generators that create images from user-supplied text prompts have experienced a recent rise in popularity. Google search trends for "AI art" have skyrocketed in the last year, as AI art generators like MidJourney, DALL-E by OpenAI, and Lensa AI, which generates images using Stable Diffusion's algorithm, have grown in popularity for commercial and personal use (Google Trends - Lensa, MidJourney, AI Art, Dall-e, 2023). While this technology has been in development for quite some time, these large platforms have increased it's accessibility for public consumption.

1 comment:

Hailey Garza said...

I still find myself commenting on articles about AI because I find myself to have strong opinions on this matter. I don’t really support AI art. For a computer to come up with art, it has to source it from other artists. Sometimes, these images can look just like another artists. I find it all just to be a little wrong. There is no soul behind the art that a computer creates because a computer has no soul. It’s cheaper to use Ai to create art and not use a human. And it’s becoming extremely popular to use. I’m nervous about the future of artists because it’s becoming a bit of a reality that computers will take over the jobs of artists. I think it’s important now for artists to put a watermark on their images, so hopefully if a computer uses it, it makes it noticeable as to who the original artist is.