CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, November 22, 2022

'Indiana Jones 5' De-Ages Harrison Ford, First Look Photos

Variety: Harrison Ford is back in adventure mode in the first images from “Indiana Jones 5,” which debuted exclusively via Empire magazine. Along with some photos comes confirmation that Ford will be de-aged using visual effects so that Indiana Jones appears in the film as his age from the original trilogy. The de-aging technology is only used in the film’s opening scene, which is set in a castle in 1944 and pits Indiana against a group of Nazis.

2 comments:

Gaby F said...

As a big fan of the Indiana Jones franchise, I’m kind of looking forward to another release. I did think the plan was to re-cast and re-boot the entire thing, but I’m still stoked to have Harrison Ford back. I wonder if it’ll feel weird watching a de-aged Ford on the screen. Even if it does end up looking really good, and I’m sure it will look at least presentable, there is an “uncanny valley” like feeling in knowing that what I’m watching is not actually real. Of course I know what CGI does and that now there is so much more CGI than hair/makeup/scenic effects in an effort to reduce costs, but then it is usually obvious what is going on. There’s a dragon, or it’s even a movie doing a lot of time jumping and it ends up being a collective effort between departments to get to the desired effect.

Gabby Harper said...

I think it’s pretty cool that they are able to use technology in this way. While it is a little creepy, since I really don’t want to think about how this could be used in some not so good ways. I think it makes sense for this to be used based off of what they director is trying to achieve. I’m just curious if they are going to actually introduce someone during this film to take over as Indiana Jones for Harrison Ford. I’m sure somewhere down the line, someone is either going to try to remake the movies or try to add to them. If they are going to add to them it would make more sense to already have someone lined up to take over as Indiana Jones that to just shove someone new onto the audience. I’ve always loved these movies, and definitely plan on seeing this one when it comes out.