CMU School of Drama


Thursday, November 17, 2022

Richard Bloom (Welcome to Chippendales) production design interview

GoldDerby: Say “Chippendales” today and most people will probably picture ab-tastic men in leather pants and tiny bowties, but the origin story and early years of the dance troupe were much darker and tragic — one with which “Welcome to Chippendales” production designer Richard Bloom was quite familiar. “My mother’s a big fan of true crime and murder shows, so I think I’d seen a podcast or a ‘Dateline’ about it,” he tells Gold Derby at Meet the Experts: TV Production Designers panel

1 comment:

Carolyn Burback said...

I always think its interesting when real people’s stories are told in the media because there are inevitable tweaks whether that be to sanitize a story or make it even more dramatic. I’ve never made up my mind how ethical it is to detour off someone’s life story but I definitely understand why in terms of keeping the story interesting. I like the mentioning of using set design with levels to establish hierarchy and heighten the rivalry. I guess changing the story is also affected by if the people are still alive. If they are still alive they may not even be that fond of a movie exposing their life and be more critical of changes from reality whereas if they’re dead and especially if they’ve been dead for a while then it may not matter as much to them or the general public what has deviated from the story.