CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Play ‘born of rage’ over Asian female stereotypes lambasts Miss Saigon

Theatre | The Guardian: The programming of Kimber Lee’s drama untitled f*ck m*ss s**gon play was announced on Tuesday, following news that a touring theatre company of British east and south-east Asian (BESEA) artists has pulled a production from the Sheffield Crucible next summer because the venue is staging Miss Saigon. In a statement, New Earth Theatre said it would not present its play Worth alongside “a musical that perpetuates deeply held notions of Asian inferiority”.

1 comment:

Monica Tran said...

I remember the first time I ever saw Miss Saigon, and boy howdy was I confused. It had nothing to do with Vietnam! Or maybe it did and my seats were just that bad and I fell asleep so I wasn't paying much attention as it was. This is my very sad hot take, but I don't think Miss Saigon is all that great of a musical. It may not be for me! But! I do remember that at the very few sightings of the mystical Vietnamese woman who made so few appearances in the titular musical, I thought, "that woman isn't even Vietnamese." And that's just the normal Vietnamese-American experience. It's getting better now, but I remember thinking like I wish I was Japanese or Korean or Chinese or literally anything more interesting than Vietnamese. Literally hated myself for it. And that self hating, internalized bullshit starts with this.