CMU School of Drama


Thursday, November 24, 2022

Curt Beech (‘Till’ production designer) video interview

GoldDerby: “How do we make a film that begins and ends in a place of joy?” recalls production designer Curt Beech about embarking on creating the look and feel of true-story drama “Till.” For our recent webchat he adds, “I was told that we were going to do something totally different, which is great. It’s the best thing to hear at the beginning, to have your initial impulses completely flipped upside down.

1 comment:

Ava Notarangelo said...

Having little to no Direction other than to do something new and crazy it's such an interesting experience. I feel that it's those times when I feel The most tested as an artist, but it's also those times that I feel the most free and end up being proudest of my work. Being tied down to limitations can be cool in some instances because you can really get specific with the type of work you're doing, but being able to allow your imagination to flow and do literally whatever you want can also be a really really cool experience. Back in high school I always really enjoyed designing lights for band and chorus concerts because the directors allowed me to do literally whatever I wanted. the chorus directors' only directions we're always just “ I trust you, do what feels right”. Being able to utilize my funky site creating skills for performances of songs like Dancing Queen or even just making something fun and new for Hawai’i Pono’i were always the highlights of the season.