CMU School of Drama


Thursday, November 24, 2022

Concord Theatricals Will License, Publish Plays of Indigenous Playwright William S. Yellow Robe Jr.

Playbill: Concord Theatricals has acquired the licensing and publishing rights to the complete catalog of Indigenous playwright William S. Yellow Robe, Jr. The theatrical licensor has already begun the roll-out of Yellow Robe's works, with Rez Politics, Sneaky, The Body Guards, The Council, and The Star Quilter currently available through its Samuel French imprint.

1 comment:

Gabby Harper said...

I’m glad that William S. Yellow Robe Jr.’s plays have been acquired by Concord Theatricals for licensing. Not only does it make them more accessible, when companies search for shows to do they will pop up as something that can be done. I know a number of Indigenous Playwrights, having worked on some Indigenous productions myself. What I don’t know is how many have had their plays picked up by licensing companies such as Concord Theatricals. I think some of Larissa Fasthorse’s plays have been, but I’m not completely certain. Something else I’m curious about is, depending on the play, are there in stipulations in the licensing agreements that certain characters have to be played by an Indigenous actor. From experience I know there are plenty of Indigenous actors out there, and, especially with professional theatres, there’s no real reason why some of these roles couldn’t be played by Indigenous actors.