CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, February 08, 2022

Prolight + Sound 2022: ‘Sinus – Systems Integration Award’ for the digital arts project ‘Bassins des Lumières’ in Bordeaux, France

LightSoundJournal.com: A place with a dark history is transformed into an immersive work of art unlike any other in the world: the ‘Bassins des Lumières’ project in Bordeaux receives the ‘Sinus – Systems Integration Award 2022’. Since June 2020, the technically complex installation has invited culture enthusiasts to immerse themselves in a sea of pictures, colours, sounds and history on the site of a former submarine bunker.

1 comment:

Sophia Coscia said...

This article had me shopping for flights to Bordeaux, France. I personally love the idea of transforming old unused and historically industrial spaces into public accessible art spaces. Interestingly enough, since coming to Pittsburgh, I have met a steel historian who has been traveling to similar spaces in places like Berlin to look at converting old Pittsburgh steel industrial buildings to things like Les Bassins Des Lumieres. A project of this scale is massive, especially with the other 90 projectors they used. However, I think it would be wonderful in Pittsburgh. I really admire the way the group transforms the show, and changes it periodically. I would have to see the show to see how it all comes together. The current Klimt concept seems vaguely like immersive Van Gogh or the new immersive Frida Kahlo, but I feel like this would have a less commercialized feeling or… I’d hope it does.