CMU School of Drama


Monday, February 14, 2022

Broadway royalty salute '50 Years of Broadway at Kennedy Center'

DC Metro Theater Arts: In 1983, when the Broadway phenomenon Annie closed after nearly six years on Broadway, a New York Times journalist wryly observed that backing the show financially in its early days was “the best investment the Kennedy Center ever made.” The Kennedy Center, it would seem, has a knack for fostering genius. And Annie is not the center’s only claim to developmental fame.

1 comment:

Jeremy Pitzer said...

I have been thinking a lot about the Kennedy center recently because I just found out that much of manhattan- entire neighborhoods -were destroyed and displaced by the construction of the center, most of those neighborhoods being already filled with disenfranchised people. This leaves a bad taste in my mouth reading about the celebration of broadway - and thus New York’s history - on the grounds where a piece of New York was intentionally flattened and silenced. However, should I feel bad? It's been decades and the Kennedy center is not going anywhere and it seems like everyone is just over it, so do I have any right to feel weird about everything they produce? I think the way the theater was founded is very messed up, and I think I will continue to be mad about it until they actually say something about it other than empty statements hidden in their website’s sections.