CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Esports event is 'one of largest virtual productions ever'

www.avinteractive.com: The live championship for the multiplayer action real-time strategy game Dota2 was one of the largest and most ambitious virtual production events ever held. The 10-day live production generated 125 hours of live content and more than 2,000 hours overall, and broke all previous viewing records, with the grand final watched live or replayed by 100 million unique viewers across all platforms, making it the most-watched Dota 2 event ever.

1 comment:

Louise Anne Cutter said...

I understand that VR is a new and growing industry, and that is has started to become integrated into the pop culture more. I have seen it mainly in terms of video gaming, as it is a way to enhance one's immersion when interacting with a world other than the one we are literally in. I did not consider this level of immersion a tool that could be used in productions, but absolutely love the idea! Theatre, like other art forms, is constantly evolving, as technology keeps advancing. Because of this, theatre artists always have to be learning, explore, and find news way to incorporate new concepts into their work. It allows immense opportunity for experimental work in theatre, the type of work I want to do. For a while, and still to some extent, I decided I did not want to do theatre. This is because Carnegie Mellon for the most part has given me a fairly traditional perspective on theatre. I forgot there were experimental pieces out there I could participate in! Who knows, maybe I will design a set for a fully VR musical.