CMU School of Drama


Thursday, November 02, 2023

Solidarity at Goodspeed: Crew, Costume, Scenic, Hair, and Makeup Workers Vote Overwhelmingly to Unionize

IATSE: In a display of solidarity and strength, the run crew, makeup, wig and hairstylists, costume shop, and scenic shop workers at Goodspeed Musical Theatre have successfully organized with Locals 84, 798, and United Scenic Artists 829. This win marks a pivotal step forward in ensuring fair working conditions, respect, and recognition for the dedicated workers who contribute tirelessly to the organization’s success.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For one of my projects for my Anti-Racist and Equitable Practices in Theatre class I focused on Goodspeed Musicals; specifically their mission statement, season, history, and DEI statement and work. I had become aware of Goodspeed from their production of Summer Stock starring Corbin Bleu, as I am a long-time High School Musical fan. Their theater company interested me though because of how many shows they have had transferred to Broadway and since they are located about an hour from where I live in Connecticut. I believe that they have internships, and I think I will look into if they have any that I would be suited for and want to do. I am glad that the workers at Goodspeed decided to come together and unionize, as I believe it is greatly important for everyone to have proper representation and payment, and when it comes to the theater industry being a part of a union is the best way to do that.