CMU School of Drama


Thursday, April 01, 2021

The Year of the Stage Manager and a Union Divided

Technicians for Change: 2020 was a year too hard to describe. On a global scale, what I want to write about may seem small and unimportant, but it is something that affects me and others both personally and professionally. Does anyone remember that 2020 was supposed to be the Year of the Stage Manager? That’s right, stage managers were going to be in the spotlight for just a little while. And as we all well know, that spotlight went out in March, for all of us. Theatres went dark across the country and we were left wondering about what we were going to do. How long would this last? How were we going to make a living? Pay our bills? Would we lose our health insurance if we didn’t work enough weeks? And on and on and on…

2 comments:

Hadley Holcomb said...

Once again I am faced with the altered reality of unions during pandemic times. I had not thought about the different unions that would be hurt or helped by the theatre industry's forced change to a virtual format. I think that the talk of what union stage management belongs to is a conversation that needs to be had. It's position in Actors Equity has always confuses me, however I haven't really questioned it. The point that the article brought out into the open of some actors seemingly tossing stage management to the wind was certainly disappointing at the least. In a time of limited jobs make people desperate for a paycheck I am not surprised that the protection of stage management positions was not at the forefront of every actors mind. However, I am a bit disappointed that when it was brought up to discussion, especially when it seems like all theatre makers need to band together to keep the industry alive, that didn't happen. Seeing where this discussion goes in the future post pandemic will be very interesting.

Brynn Sklar said...

That is one major thing that worries me about all of these unions in theatre. I guess pre-pandemic it was not a fear of mine but knowing how quickly situations can change, I would lose sleep fretting about the possibility of losing the benefits of a union in the first place. Health insurance is a big one, especially in these times where we are separated by an easily contractible virus. I was wondering how long theatres could get away with screening their old plays to meet Actors Equity Association requirements before having to adapt once again. As per usual, stage managers are overlooked and although I am mad that the spotlight was once again removed from their presence, I cannot say that I would prefer that over any updates about COVID-19. Yes, overall it is sad that stage managers did not get their time, but in a crazy world like this, it will come back around eventually - maybe even tenfold.