CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, March 13, 2024

How Suffs on Broadway Built Its Team of Powerful Women

Playbill: In 2016, Shaina Taub found herself at a crossroads. On one hand, she was living the dream. She was a working actor busy on some big projects: the original Off-Broadway casts of Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812 and Hadestown. On the other hand, Taub was also blossoming as a composer, having been commissioned to write a musical adaptation of Twelfth Night for the Public Theater. She had a choice to make: Should she continue on as an actor in those very ambitious, potential-filled projects and probably go to Broadway that way? Or should she focus on composing?

2 comments:

Delaney Price said...

Suffs is a show I’m getting more excited to see the more I hear about it. I first I was discouraged about the idea of another first-wave feminist “Friedan” historical musical. While feminism is far from gimmicky, I viewed this as somehow so. However, this interview and the more I’ve read, my mind is slowly changing. This article states, “ That push-and-pull of trying to tell a satisfying story while giving equal time to the many diverse faces involved in the first wave feminist movement and acknowledge the work left to be done.” While the team is aware of this challenge, I’m curious as to if they will ultimately find success with this. I have yet to see a Broadway show tackle feminism impactfully in the last few years with Once Upon a One More Time and & Juliet falling a bit short in their breakdowns of intersectionality. While nuanced discussion on intersectional and third-wave feminism is not a requirement for a “good musical”, I enjoy this topic greatly and will want to see Suffs if they live up to the expectation they promise.

Reigh Wilson said...

I’ve seen a few different videos and articles about this show on various social media platforms. I also have hears I think maybe two songs on social media platforms as well. It seems like a very interesting concept for a show and we have found that many of these new adaptations and spins for historical events or people such as Hamilton and Six have found immense popularity, so it seems like the right time for a show of that essence to come out. I am curious to know more about what the exact plot line is for this show, and how they are or if they are going to add in how largely the suffrage movement was exclusionary of black women, especially since I saw that there are a multitude of women of color within the cast. Which is fantastic, and something that the show seems to be doing well out of the gate with having such a strong and talented female cast and creative.