CMU School of Drama


Monday, February 12, 2024

Speak the names, tell the stories (part 2): Dr. Kelsey E. Collie, pioneer of children’s theater in DC

DC Theater Arts: Though it all felt magical growing up, now I can see that as a single mother and performing artist, my mother had to navigate her career strategically. Career opportunities for her were treasured learning experiences for me. Attending Dr. Kelsey E. Collie’s program, the Howard University Children’s Theatre, where my mom was a teacher, was pure gold.

1 comment:

Sam Regardie said...

As a DC local, it is really a shame that I had not heard of Dr. Kelsey E. Collie's work in children's theater previously, as it seems that he is doing some really inspiring and important things. I grew up being part of a children's theater in the DC area, and it heavily shaped both my childhood and the person I am today. Dr. Collie's work is vital because so many people are able to fall in love with theater, but somebody has to show it to them first. He described how he became a theater major at the suggestion of his teacher, showing the incredibly important role that educators have in shaping us. Bringing theater to as many people as possible is something I am very passionate about and I greatly appreciate the work the Dr. Collie is doing in this regard. So many people involved with theater want to take their skills and only work on productions, which is of course important, but everyone should remember that their theater educators helped them get to the place they are now.